4 Stone Buildings is ranked as a Leading Set (Tier 2) in “Middle East: The English Bar (Commercial)” in the Legal 500 EMEA 2023, where chambers are described as follows:
4 Stone Buildings has a prominent commercial disputes offering in the Middle East, with particular expertise in the DIFC and ADGM courts. Numerous members of chambers are involved in Sawhney v Credit Suisse AG, a substantial DIFC litigation involving a range of regulatory breach allegations, with Richard Hill KC acting for the claimant and Sharif A. Shivji KC acting for Credit Suisse. Additionally, Sharif Shivji KC also acted for several defendants in Emirates NBD v Advanced Facilities Management, which concerns a $500m claim under a syndicated loan agreement. Richard Hill KC, leading Andrew Rose, has also been acting for the claimants in Al Masah Capital v DFSA, a case which raised important questions on the meaning of ‘funds’ under DIFC law.
Many of our members have also been ranked individually in the Legal 500 EMEA 2023:
Sharif A. Shivji KC (Tier 2)– 4 Stone Buildings ‘Sharif is intellectually superb and his clear strategic thinking is remarkable. His commitment to his clients and cases is unmatched. He is a pleasure to work with, conscientious, committed and an excellent advocate.’
Alastair Tomson(Tier 1)– 4 Stone Buildings ‘Alastair is a really creative thinker and is excellent in bringing new ideas or an approach to a legal problem. He is excellent in dealing with clients and is also a forceful and persuasive advocate.
Edward Crossley (Tier 2) – 4 Stone Buildings ‘Extremely hardworking and responsive, Edward is an absolute pleasure to work with. He has particular skill in focussing his audience on the key points in issue and for presenting his points in a succinct but compelling manner. He is a class act.’
Andrew Rose (Tier 2) – 4 Stone Buildings ‘Andrew is a very fine lawyer. He has command of legal principles, thinks creatively, and produces excellent written work. His advocacy is measured and determined, and he often outshines more experienced opponents.’
Zara McGlone– (Ranked as Rising Star)
We are also delighted that our clerking team has received great comments from our clients, Senior Clerk David Goddard and our First and Second Junior Clerks, Ben Lashmar and Ryan Tunkel, have been recognised by our clients for their outstanding service. Some of the great feedback from our clients is as follows:
- ‘Ben Lashmar is fantastic; pragmatic and very commercial – he understands the lay client’s needs and demands.’
- ‘David Goddard and Ryan Tunkel are always willing to help. Work is turned around quickly, and they are transparent on fees.’
- ‘David Goddard is a class act; a superb clerk.’
- ‘Ben Lashmar has been excellent.’
- ‘The clerks are fabulous at identifying the right barrister for the task and not simply servicing the internal food chain.’
- ‘The clerks are very helpful, responsive, and efficient.’
- ‘4 Stone Buildings are a go to set for chancery and commercial arbitration matters. They have an extremely strong bench at all levels of seniority – they are commercial and understand the client needs and dynamics