Definitions and Interpretation
Cookies: a small text file placed on your computer by this Website when you visit certain parts of the Website and/or when you use certain features of the Website. Details of the cookies used by this Website are set out in the section below headed ‘Cookies’;
Data: all information that you submit to 4 Stone Buildings via the Website. This definition incorporates, where applicable, the definitions used in the DPA;
DPA: the Data Protection Act 1998;
4 Stone Buildings, us or we: the Chambers of George Bompas QC at 4 Stone Buildings, Lincoln’s Inn, London WC2A 3XT;
UK and EU Cookie Law: the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 as amended by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011;
User or you: any third party accessing the Website which/who is not (i) employed by 4 Stone Buildings and acting in the course of their employment or (ii) engaged as a consultant or otherwise providing services to 4 Stone Buildings and accessing the Website in connection with the provision of such services;
Website: the website you are currently using http://4stonebuildings.com and any sub-domains or aliases of this site.
- the singular includes the plural, and vice versa;
- the word ‘person’ includes firms, companies, government entities, trusts, partnerships and any other body (whether incorporated or not);
- the word ‘including’ means “including without limitation”;
- any reference to a legislative provision includes any modification or amendment of it in force at the applicable time;
- We may collect the following Data, which include personal Data, from you:
- job title;
- contact information (such as email address and telephone number);
- IP address (automatically collected);
- web browser type and version (automatically collected);
- operating system (automatically collected);
- list of URLs starting with a referring site, your activity on this Website, and the site you exit to (automatically collected);
- selections made using our barrister portfolio system;
Our use of Data
- For the purposes of the DPA, 4 Stone Buildings is the ‘data controller’.
- We will retain any Data collected from you for 12 months.
- Unless we are obliged or permitted by law to do so, and subject to any third party disclosures specifically set out in this policy, your Data will not be disclosed to third parties.
- All personal Data are stored securely in accordance with the principles of the DPA. For more details on security see the section below headed ‘Security’.
- Any or all of the Data collected by us may be required by us from time to time in order to provide you with the best possible service and experience when using the Website. Specifically, Data may be used by us for all or any of the following reasons:
- internal record keeping;
- improvement of our products / services;
- transmission by email of promotional materials that may be of interest to you;
- contact for market research purposes which may be done using email, telephone, fax or mail: such information may be used to customise or update the Website,
Third Party Websites and Services
- 4 Stone Buildings employs the services of third party website hosts and third party website managers (the “Third Parties”) for dealing with certain processes necessary for the operation of the Website. The providers of such services have access to Data and any personal Data provided by Users of this Website and/or collected on the Website but have informed 4 Stone Buildings that they will not use such Data or personal Data in any way..
Links to other websites
Controlling the use of your Data
- Wherever you are required to submit Data, you will be given options to restrict our use of those Data. This may include the following:
- use of Data for direct marketing purposes; and
- sharing Data with third parties.
Functionality of the Website
- To use all features and functions available on the Website, you may be required to submit certain Data.
Accessing your own Data
- You have the right to ask for a copy of any of your personal Data held by 4 Stone Buildings (where such Data are held) on payment of a fee, which will not exceed £10.
- Data security is of great importance to 4 Stone Buildings and to protect your Data we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure Data collected via this Website.
- We endeavour to do our best to protect your personal Data. However, transmission of information over the internet is not entirely secure and is done at your own risk. We cannot ensure the security of your Data transmitted to the Website.
- All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law.
- Strictly necessary cookies: These are Cookies that are required for the operation of our Website.
- Analytical/performance cookie: These are Cookies which allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- You can choose to enable or disable Cookies in your internet browser. By default, most internet browsers accept Cookies but this can be changed. For further details, please consult the help menu in your internet browser.
- You can choose to delete Cookies at any time. However, you may lose any information that enables you to access the Website more quickly and efficiently including, but not limited to, personalisation settings.
- It is recommended that you ensure that your internet browser is up-to-date and that you consult the help and guidance provided by the developer of your internet browser if you are unsure about adjusting your privacy settings.
Transfers outside the European Economic Area
- Data which we collect from you may be stored and processed in and transferred to countries outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). For example, this could occur if our servers are located in a country outside the EEA or one of our service providers is situated in a country outside the EEA. These countries may not have data protection laws equivalent to those in force in the EEA.
- Unless otherwise agreed, no delay, act or omission by a party in exercising any right or remedy will be deemed a waiver of that, or any other, right or remedy.
You may contact 4 Stone Buildings by email at email@example.com