Guy has a broad commercial Chancery practice, with a particular emphasis on civil fraud and insolvency law. His recent instructions include:
- Les Ambassadeurs Club Ltd v Yu – an application for a post-judgment freezing injunction against a defaulting gambler; now the leading authority on the meaning of the phrase “real risk of dissipation”. Guy acted as sole counsel for the Claimant in both the High Court  EWHC 1443 (QB) and the Court of Appeal  EWCA Civ 1310.
- Puharic v Silverbond Enterprises Ltd  EWHC 351 (QB) – a claim for an alleged ‘bonus’ supposedly due from a high-profile Mayfair casino. Guy appeared as sole counsel for the casino during the 4 day trial and succeeded in having the claim dismissed  EWHC 351 (QB) with costs  EWHC 389 (QB).
- Al Jaber v Bosheh & Ors – a complex fraud claim. Guy acted for the Second Defendant in his successful applications to discharge a freezing injunction obtained against him ex parte without full and frank disclosure  EWHC 3038 (Ch) and to continue his own injunction in support of a counterclaim valued at £3 million  EWHC 2142 (Ch). In the latter application, Guy appeared as sole counsel against leading and junior counsel from Blackstone Chambers.
- Kea Investments Ltd v Ivory Castle Ltd – a claim for the appointment of a receiver by way of equitable execution. Guy acted for the Additional Defendants. In January 2019, Guy appeared alongside Charles Béar QC of Fountain Court during the Claimant’s application for notification relief which gave rise to complicated questions of joinder and service out in a post-judgment context  EWHC 309 (Ch). Subsequent hearings focused on the nature of so-called ‘quasi-proprietary’ claims, issue estoppel, and abuse of process  EWHC 472 (Ch).
- Coral Reef Ltd v Silverbond Enterprises Ltd & Anor – a dispute over the ownership of a Mayfair casino. Guy acted for the Defendants alongside Stephen Auld QC from One Essex Court. In February 2019, Guy succeeded in obtaining a rare punitive security for costs order under CPR 3.1(5) following the Claimant’s repeated failure to comply with Court rules and directions  EWHC 887 (Ch).
- Hosking v Apax Partners LLP – a US$ 1 billion claim under s. 423 of the Insolvency Act 1986 against a number of high-profile private equity houses. Guy assisted Robert Miles QC and Andrew de Mestre QC for the successful Defendants. Hosking v Apax Partners LLP was selected as one of The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases of 2018.
Guy is a contributor to Transaction Avoidance in Insolvencies 3rd Ed. (2018) and Loose and Griffiths on Liquidators 9th Ed. (2019). He read Philosophy & Theology at Keble College, Oxford, before gaining a Distinction on the GDL and an Outstanding on the BPTC. He is a Hubert Greenland, Hardwicke, and Lord Bowen scholar of Lincoln’s Inn.
- Chancery: commercial
Guy regularly attends the Business & Property Courts as sole or junior counsel. His recent cases include Al Jaber v Bosheh & Ors, Coral Reef Ltd v Silverbond Enterprises Ltd & Anor, and Kea Investments Ltd v Ivory Castle Ltd (above).
As a pupil, Guy was also involved in the trial of Singularis Holdings Ltd v Daiwa Capital Markets Europe Ltd  EWHC 257 (Ch), a negligence claim brought by the liquidator of an insolvent company against its brokers for failing to prevent the fraud of its former director. Guy assisted Robert Miles QC and Andrew de Mestre QC on the law of attribution and illegality following the Supreme Court’s decisions in Bilta v Nazir and Patel v Mirza.
- Commercial dispute resolution
Guy is regularly instructed as a junior on large commercial disputes. His recent cases include:
- Les Ambassadeurs Club Ltd v Yu and Puharić v Silverbond Enterprises Ltd (above).
- Credit Suisse Asset Management LLC v Titan Europe 2006-1 Plc  EWCA Civ 1293 – a case concerning the entitlement of ‘Class X’ note holders to interest. As a pupil, Guy assisted Andrew de Mestre QC during his preparation for the Court of Appeal.
- Company law
Guy accepts instructions in all manner of company disputes, in particular claims for breach of directors’ duties, derivative claims, unfair prejudice petitions, and just and equitable winding-ups. His recent instructions include:
- Airways Aviation Academy Limited v Atalla – a £8.5 million claim by a pilot training provider against its former director for alleged breaches of duty.
- Michel v Michel  EWHC 1378 (Ch) – an unfair prejudice petition on grounds of exclusion from management and breach of fiduciary duty. Guy assisted Alastair Tomson on the law of quasi-partnerships and the applicability of s. 122(1)(g) of the Insolvency Act 1986.
- Dennis v Tag Group Ltd – an unfair prejudice petition. As a pupil, Guy assisted John Brisby QC and Tom Gentleman on an application regarding submission to the jurisdiction  EWHC 919 (Ch).
- Fraud – civil
Guy has extensive experience of claims involving allegations of deceit and conspiracy. He is familiar with the particular challenges these claims present in terms of asset protection and enforcement and is regularly instructed to both obtain and discharge freezing injunctions and other forms of interim relief. His recent cases include Les Ambassadeurs Club Ltd v Yu, Al Jaber v Bosheh & Ors, and Kea Investments Ltd v Ivory Castle Ltd (above).
As a pupil, Guy was also involved in Tchenguiz v Grant Thornton UK LLP, a claim by a well-known property magnate against a global accounting firm in respect of an alleged conspiracy to procure an SFO investigation into the Claimant’s affairs. Guy assisted Tom Gentleman on an application concerning collateral use  1 WLR 2809 and in the Court of Appeal on the relationship between the Winding-up Directive and the Lugano II Convention  EWCA Civ 83. He was subsequently instructed to assist in the preparation for trial.
- Insolvency & restructuring
Guy has experience in the full range of bankruptcy & insolvency disputes, including preferences, transactions at an undervalue, transactions defrauding creditors, misfeasance, wrongful & fraudulent trading, statutory demands, bankruptcy & winding-up petitions, validation orders, examinations, and director’s disqualification. His recent cases include:
- Neill v Needham & Anor – an application under s. 108(2) of the Insolvency Act 1986 for removal of liquidators on grounds of conflict of interest.
- A private examination under s. 366 of the Insolvency Act 1986 of a bankrupt believed to be hiding assets that properly vested in his trustee.
- Sandhu v Nagra – an unfair prejudice petition against a company director who had diverted the business and assets of the company to his own corporate entity  EWHC 763 (Ch). Guy acted for the successful petitioner on a post-judgment application for the appointment an interim receiver on the basis that an existing freezing injunction did not provide adequate protection against the danger of document destruction.
- Re Peak Hotels and Resorts Ltd  EWHC 1511 (Ch) – an application by the liquidators of a BVI company for a determination of the validity and scope of certain charges under section 245 of the Insolvency Act 1986. As a pupil, Guy assisted Andrew de Mestre QC on the categorisation of fixed and floating charges.
- International arbitration
Guy accepts instructions in all forms of commercial arbitration. His recent cases include:
- A €29 million UNCITRAL arbitration between a cryptocurrency exchange and its payment services provider.
- An application under section 9 of the Arbitration Act 1996 for a stay of proceedings in favour of arbitration. Guy appeared for the respondent led by Richard Hill QC.
- Great Station Properties SA v UMS Holdings Ltd – a claim for breach of a joint venture agreement by means of diversion of profits. As a pupil, Guy assisted John Brisby QC and Tom Gentleman on an application under s.68 Arbitration Act 1996  1 All ER (Comm) 892.
- Offshore litigation
Guy has a busy offshore practice and is particularly experienced in litigation in the DIFC. His recent experience includes:
- Advising on an appeal to the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal alongside Jonathan Crow QC on the question of whether the chair of a general meeting of shareholders is obliged to exercise the powers of that office in compliance the principles expressed in Associated Provincial Picture Houses Ltd v Wednesbury Corp.
- Re Peak Hotels and Resorts Ltd (in liquidation) BVIHC (COM) 2014 / 0116, an application by a law firm for a direction that its fees be paid as an expense of the liquidation under the Lundy Granite
- A long-running family dispute in the DIFC over the ownership of a Dubai-based business empire worth c. US$1 billion. Guy acted successfully as junior to Richard Hill QC, Orlando Fraser QC, and Sharif Shivji QC, and latterly as sole counsel.
- Tavira Securities v Point Ventures FZCO – A c. £4 million claim in the DIFC for deceit and unlawful means conspiracy.
- A request by a trustee in bankruptcy against a major law firm for delivery up of documents under section 342(1) of the Gibraltar Insolvency Act 2011.
- Stanford v Akers & McDonald (as Joint Liquidators of Chesterfield United Inc) – an application under section 273 of the BVI Insolvency Act 2003 to challenge the decision of a liquidator to settle proceedings. As a pupil, Guy assisted Sharif Shivji on issues of standing and the test in Re Edennote Ltd.
Guy is the co-author of the chapter in Transaction Avoidance in Insolvencies 3rd Ed. (2018) on transaction avoidance in offshore jurisdictions.
- Career & appointments
Chancery Bar Association
Commercial Bar Association
Guy is a contributor to two works on insolvency: Transaction Avoidance in Insolvencies 3rd Ed. (2018) and Loose and Griffiths on Liquidators 9th Ed. (2019). His contributions include chapters on wrongful & fraudulent trading, transaction avoidance in offshore jurisdictions, and decision making within a liquidation.
- Education & awards
- 2015: BPTC, City Law School (Outstanding)
- 2014: GDL, City Law School (Distinction)
- 2013: BA (Hons) Philosophy & Theology, Keble College, Oxford
Scholarships and Prizes
- 2016: Hubert Greenland Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- 2015: Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn
- 2014: Hardwicke Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- 2014: Falcon Chambers Prize for Land Law, City Law School
- 2013: Lord Bowen Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- 2015: City Law School Senior Moot, Finalist
- 2014: City Law School GDL Moot, Winner
- 2014: Inns of Court Society Moot, Winner